Spanish lujuria , Italian lussuria , from luxus "excess, extravagance, magnificence," probably a figurative use of luxus adj. Meaning "sensual pleasure" is late 14c. Lost its pejorative taint 17c.
Meaning "habit of indulgence in what is choice or costly" is from s; that of "sumptuous surroundings" is from ; that of "something enjoyable or comfortable beyond life's necessities" is from Used as an adjective from I often said, 'It does not really belong to us, and we are living in luxury from the property of another. You said, 'It grieved you that I was poor; that you could not restore to me the luxury and wealth I had lost.
Translation of luxury for Arabic Speakers. What made you want to look up luxury?
Best luxury cars 2018
Please tell us where you read or heard it including the quote, if possible. Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.
Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! How a folk song became a term of derision. The participle made famous by Elvis. And is one way more correct than the others? The story of an imaginary word that managed to sneak past our editors and enter the dictionary.
How to use a word that literally drives some people nuts. The awkward case of 'his or her'. Test your visual vocabulary with our question challenge! Other words from luxury luxury adjective. Examples of luxury in a Sentence He spent a fortune on expensive wines and other luxuries. Right now a new car is a luxury that I can't afford. On my salary, I can afford few luxuries.
Top 10 best luxury cars 2018
We were lucky to have the luxury of choosing from among several good options. We can't afford the luxury of waiting any longer.
- The Myth of Fair and Efficient Government: Why the Government You Want Is Not the One You Get!
- Related Words;
- Les Sénégalais de New-York (French Edition)?
- Its Not Just a Ballgame Anymore?
- NATO after Sixty Years: A Stable Crisis (New Studies in U.S. Foreign Relations).
- Navigation menu?
First Known Use of luxury 14th century, in the meaning defined at sense 3. History and Etymology for luxury Middle English luxurie , from Anglo-French luxorie , from Latin luxuria rankness, luxury, excess; akin to Latin luxus luxury, excess.
luxury - Wiktionary
Learn More about luxury. Resources for luxury Time Traveler!
- Luxury | Define Luxury at iwojafevazyx.ml.
- Culture and Customs of Nigeria (Cultures and Customs of the World)?
- Lateral Marketing: New Techniques for Finding Breakthrough Ideas.
- Healing with Form, Energy, and Light: The Five Elements in Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, and Dzogchen.
- En la zona de Naccos (Spanish Edition).
Explore the year a word first appeared. From the Editors at Merriam-Webster.